Friday, October 10, 2008

Poetry Friday: Another Palinoem


I couldn't help myself again. Here is the third in my series of "Palinoems"--poems about Sarah Palin.

Innuendo…and More
Sarah Palin Stumpin’ Along on the Campaign Trail
by Elaine Magliaro

He pals around with terrorists!
He doesn’t love the USA.
He really isn’t one of US!
“Fer shur, fer shur,” that’s what I say.

His middle name’s Hussein, ya know.
How UN-American is that?
“Who is ‘that’ tall dark one?” you ask.
Why, he’s one black, elusive cat.

Who is Obama? Who is he?
He’s really not one of our kind!
He lived in Indonesia once…
Hawaii, too! Keep that in mind!

He won’t support our troops--oh no!
He’s not a patriot like me.
I’m just a down home country girl.
Heck, I’m a hockey mom, ya see.

Why, he’s elitist; I’m mainstream.
Ya know, I’m like the rest of you.
Gosh darn it, I’m no millionaire.
I know what y’all are goin’ through.

I’m a maverick reformer.
Oh, I’m a mighty Amazon.
My heels are on; my gloves are off.
I’m here to save the day for John.


********************


At Blue Rose Girls, I have a poem by James Weldon Johnson entitled The White Witch.

The Poetry Friday Roundup is at Picture Book of the Day.

17 comments:

Linda said...

Elaine,

You have the voice down, fer shur!
Scary thought that SHE could be our president. John wasn't looking too steady during the debate the other night.

I loved the poem! If it's okay with you, I'd like to share it with my staff. : )

Elaine Magliaro said...

Linda,

I usually hesitate to post political opinions, etc., here--but sometimes I can't help myself. Can you share my poem? You betcha!

jama said...

Absolutely brilliant, Elaine! *thunderous applause*

I always smile when you begin a post, "I couldn't help myself . . . " :)

It's so so so hard not to blog about politics this year. I sit on my hands much of the time so I don't type my rage for all to see. Let's slap that Sarah with a wet moose!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jama,

I usually try to find a catharsis for my anger or frustration through humor and/or poetry. I find it's a better way to let off steam than to scream on my roof top. I wouldn't want the neighbors to call the cops and claim I was disturbing the peace.

Maybe slap her with a wet moose hide!

tanita✿davis said...

Go Elaine! Wow!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Tadmack,

I'm so fearful that racism will rear its ugly head on the first Tuesday in November. It appears the attack dog/moose hunter is doing her best to stir up the basest negative emotions against the other ticket.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Oh my goodness. I just can't believe her. Poetry is the way to say it, that's for sure.

Kelly said...

Bravo, Elaine! Bravo :) It's great to smile through the (political) pain of these past few weeks.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Cloudscome,

I couldn't agree more about using poetry to express what I feel like saying/shouting at the top of my lungs.


Kelly,

Thanks. I think the Daily Show, Colbert Report, and Countdown with Keith Olbermann help to keep me laughing--while shaking my head in disbelief.

Mary Lee said...

Bring it on! Don't hold back! Sometimes the only hope I have is when I read blogs!

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Elaine, I heard Sherman Alexie speak this weekend at the Southern Festival of Books. Someone asked him DIRECTLY about politics/this election, and he panned Palin so sincerely and passionately that he got thunderous applause in the auditorium. He said he doesn't want someone to be elected that "00% of us can beat in Trivial Pursuit" and that she's an embarrassment to the country.

He also made it clear that neither candidate blows his hair back, but he REALLY doesn't get *her* nomination.

Jules at 7-Imp said...

That's supposed to be "90%."

Elaine Magliaro said...

Mary Lee,

There are times when I find it hard not to speak out. I feel "now" is one of those times.


Jules,

I once heard Alexie speak on a panel--albeit on TV. He has the ability to be both funny and serious at the same time. I loved his book THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN. I wish I could have been there to hear him speak this weekend.

Mike Thomson said...

Fantastic, Elaine.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Mike!

alvinaling said...

I know...it's so hard to hold back...and I admit I haven't as much as I should have. But when you're passionate about something, you have to speak out! Great poem.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Alvina. I just hate some of the things I've heard during this presidential campaign--and some of the things I've seen. Today I watched an online video about a community in Ohio where a man hanged Obama in effigy. I had to shake my head in disgust.