Friday, February 20, 2009

Shadow: An Original Rhyming Acrostic



Here’s a rhyming acrostic poem from an unpublished poetry collection I wrote quite some time ago. The collection has been sitting around gathering metaphorical dust.


Silent sidekick, shape shifter who

Hides in the darkness…

A copycat mimicking everything you

Do. Sunny day playmate frolics in the light.

Oh, where, oh,

Where does it go at night?



You can read Chameleon, another of my rhyming acrostics, here.


********************



At Blue Rose Girls, I have a poem by Robert Burns in honor of my daughter’s recent engagement.

The Poetry Friday Roundup is at The Holly and the Ivy.

10 comments:

Linda said...

I can't believe an editor didn't snap up your collection of acrostics. I have enjoyed every one you've posted! Thanks for dusting this one off!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Linda,

Thanks. I never submitted the collection to a publisher.

Jacqueline Dove said...

I loved this. We have been memorising - My Shadow by Robert Louis Stevenson as part of homeschool. So I think my children will enjoy this too.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Jacqueline, I'm glad you liked my poem.

Greg Pincus said...

So, really...
Unless you send it
By mail or email
More dust will gather.
It only causes allergies.
Take the challenge:

Submit the collection, I say!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Gregory. I admit to being lackadaisical about sending my manuscripts out. I know that children's poetry is a "hard sell"--especially these days. But it doesn't make much sense to let my collections gather dust or to molder on my hard drive.

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Elaine, that is great. And it reminds me that I have a question for you. I'll email you.

I hope you're feeling better.

Jules

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jules,

Thanks. I hope you're feeling better too! It's been a bad beginning to 2009 for both you and me...healthwise.

Mary Lee said...

You write GREAT acrostics...and then you also rhyme some of them! Amazing!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Mary Lee! I find writing acrostics that rhyme a challenge. It can be satisfying when the rhymes work out well.