Friday, October 23, 2009

Dragonfly: An Orignal Mask Poem


I had planned to write reviews of Halloween poetry books for today. I didn’t get around to doing that for a good reason. Yesterday, Grace Lin and I went to the Wellesley Booksmith to see Mary Ann Hoberman and Linda Winston. Mary Ann and Linda are on tour talking about their outstanding new poetry anthology The Tree That Time Built: A Celebration of Nature, Science, and Imagination. (Click here to see where Mary Ann and Linda will be in upcoming weeks.)

After their book signing, Mary Ann and Linda invited Grace and me to have dinner with them and Joanne Myszkowski, who was taking them around to different events in Massachusetts. We had a fabulous dinner at a lovely Italian restaurant just two doors down from the book store. We all had a grand time eating and talking. I didn’t return home until 10:30—so I just didn’t have the energy to work on several book reviews. I decided to post an original poem today instead.
Linda Winston & Mary Ann Hoberman


I’m dedicating my poem Dragonfly to Mary Ann and Linda in honor of their new book. Dragonfly is a poem I wrote for Docile Fossil, a collection that I’ve been working on for the past year.


Dragonfly
by Elaine Magliaro


Long, long ago

before dinosaurs

roamed the land

I flew through prehistoric skies,

my glassy wings glistening in sunlight.



Long, long ago

I printed my image

in mud,

then melted into Earth’s memory.



Now

you can see me

stenciled on the stony pages

of time.


Mary Ann, The "Wild Rose," & Linda


You can read about Mary Hoberman Here: Mary Ann Hoberman Named Children’s Poet Laureate.

Click here to read some of my Wild Rose Reader posts about Mary Ann and her poetry.


********************


At Blue Rose Girls I have three original double dactyls.

At Political Verses, I have two new posts this week: A Poem about the Conservative Bible Project and Better Duck...It's Dick: A Poem about Dick Cheney's Hunting Prowess.

Kelly has the Poetry Friday Roundup at Big A, little a.

4 comments:

jama said...

Loved hearing all about your wonderful evening, Elaine. Swoon! Mary Ann and Linda's new book looks fascinating.

Also enjoyed your Dragonfly poem, especially the "glassy wings glistening in sunlight." Excited to hear about Docile Fossil. :)

And did you say Italian food? Yum! :9

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jama,

It was truly an enjoyable evening. There's nothing like good food and great company. Actually, the food was better than good. The mushroom-filled lune were divine--as was the chocolate budino.

laurasalas said...

Sounds like a fabulous evening. That book is on my Christmas wish list already. Looks fantastic.

And your poem is lovely. I especially love the last line of each stanza. Gorgeous.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Laura.

"The Tree That Time Built" is an exceptional anthology--and would be a fine classroomresource.