Friday, February 25, 2011

Spider Speaks: An Original Animal Mask Poem


I'm sorry that I haven't posted in a week. I've been busy getting things organized for my mother's 93rd birthday party!


Here's a picture I took of my mother
and my cousin Joyce
at my daughter's wedding last July.
Happy Birthday, Mom!!!

In addition, I'm now a regular guest blogger at Jonathan Turley's law blog (I post there every weekend). I'm sure that most people who frequent Wild Rose Reader know that I'm a poetry junkie. I'm also a political junkie. I try to keep my poetry blogging and my political blogging separate--so let me just say I'd been busy doing research for a couple of my Turley "Blawg" posts. I will tell you that I've been very interested in what has been going on in Wisconsin and I try to read everything I can on the subject--as well as watch news updates on the situation in that state. I'm a former teacher. I stand with the union demonstrators in Madison.


I didn't have much time this week to write poetry or to do any poetry book reviews--so I'm posting Spider Speaks--which I wrote for a collection of animal masks poems that is still unpublished.


SPIDER SPEAKS

I’M a spinner.
I’M a weaver.
I’M a clever bug deceiver.

Of silver silk
I build my snare
And clueless insects blunder there.

I’m crafty, sly.
I use my head…
And yards and yards of sticky thread!
***************
Sara Lewis Holmes has the Poetry Friday Roundup at Read Write Believe.

7 comments:

jama said...

Cool spider poem! Love "clever bug deceiver."

Happy Birthday to your Mom (who looks pretty in pink)!

Sara said...

Like Jama, I'm tickled by that third line. Hee. Such nice rhythm, and we fall right into it, like a spider trap. :)

Happy Birthday, Elaine's wonderful mom!

Unknown said...

Great poem!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful work as always, Elaine - and I agree that the third line is especially splendid!

Marjorie said...

I like the "I use my head" wordplay - glad you didn't have time to put together anything else ;-)

And a very Happy Birthday to your mother.

Mary Lee said...

Another great mask poem!!

Happy birthday to your mom!

laurasalas said...

Love this, esp

Of silver silk
I build my snare


Yum!

And happy bday to your mom!