Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Global Poem for Change


I received an email from Ruby Veridiano of LitWorld (a global literacy organization) yesterday. Ruby asked if I’d help spread word about LitWorld’s special 2011 National Poetry Month campaign to create an expansive poem written by contributors from all over the world. It’s called the Global Poem for Change. Poet Naomi Shihab Nye provided the poem’s beginning line:

I send my words out into the air, listening from yours from everywhere.

You can find out more about the project in the following video:

Here are two more lines that other contributors have added to the poem:

I hear your heart with ancient beat. Your soaring mind your sprinting feet.

Come with me to dreams uncharted. End your sadness Hope has started.

Would you like to celebrate National Poetry Month by contributing a line to the Global Poem for Change?

What words would you like to send out into the air?

Submit a line of your own at litworld.org/poem and watch the Poem GROW at litworld.org/poemblog.

Ruby says: We need Your Words to Change Worlds.”

No comments: